Gokarn, also written as Gokarna, is a small village in the West coast of India, in the state of Karnataka, which is a neighboring state to Goa. Gokarn is located some 145km towards South from Goa, and it is a religiously significant place for Hindus, which is why pilgrims dressed in black are common there.
You can reach Gokarn easily by train, bus or car, from Goa, but of all these 3 the busride will most likely consume most of your energy, though nothing beats the warm wind blowing through the bus windows during sunset time.
Here’s 5 reasons to visit Gokarn –
1. If you are hippy minded missing the good old days of Goa, you can get some of those hippy vibes back from Kudley Beach, Om-beach and especially Paradise Beach in Gokarn. Paradise Beach you can reach by boat and sleep overnight there in some very simple huts by the sea. Sunbathing also allowed.
2. Sunsets by the sea in Gokarn have been a way more beautiful than in many other places in India. One of the best places to enjoy sunset in Gokarn is on top of the hill between Kudley Beach and Gokarn Beach. The wind is very smooth. Just remember to return to the village before it gets too dark.
3. Gokarn will show you the real beautiful India, which is not too modern. It will also show you some incredible things as well, like a man and a woman walking on the same street without a shirt and without any problem from other people. See the attached photo if you don’t believe it.
4. The small streets of Gokarn will give you an idea of the real life of dedicated Hindus.
5. Restaurants in Gokarn are often very spicy for the Western tongue, but one small cafe there used to make really fabulous uttapams. That taste could make the customer come back all the way from Finland. Don’t know if that place exists anymore, but at least in Om Beach there’s one very nice restaurant, namely Namaste Cafe.
See also the previous post about Gokarn with videos!